Saturday, October 11, 2008

October Festivities

I picked my six year up from school on Friday. We are sharing the weekend together, since my four year old is presently with his grandmother. My son informed me immediately that he wanted to have a face painting that evening at the school carnival, so we hung out together in Lawrence for a few hours.

We went to the park, and he dutifully played alone on the equipment, racing along the bars, sliding down the slides with such a serious intent it seemed to approach reverie. I glanced at the old man sitting on the bench beside me reading, The Philokalia. We both watched the kids play, and said nothing.

After a while, he left, and my son and I gathered what was left of our wits, and made our way to the school carnival. He seemed to enjoy himself, taking a turn at various booths, saying hello to schoolmates, eating cotton candy and later pizza. A shy kid, he rolled his shoulders and danced during the cakewalk, which I thought was rather funny.

In line for a long inflatable trampoline obstacle course with final wall and slide to the bottom, a little girl in an adjacent line sought his attention by repeatedly calling his name. She said, "I'm going to race you!"

He just glanced at her, ignored her.

I bent low and asked him, "is that little girl in your class?"

He said, "no, she's in the classroom next to mine. She's in second grade."

I said, "Ah, I see."

She kept glancing at him, trying to position herself to race him, glancing his way, not allowing anyone to cut in line, and he was oblivious.

When we reached the front, the woman taking the tickets asked him, "are you by yourself, or racing someone?"

He said, "by myself."

It wasn't a rejection, I'm sure, but the little girl looked exasperated.

Today we went to the Kemper Museum of Art, and upon gazing at our first canvas, my six year old son said, "I could do that! That looks like something I did!" And it did, a fingerpainting.

Later at Crown Center we passed through the pumpkin patch and the larger, more expensive Fall carnival being hosted there, and made it unintentionally just in time for a marionette show. he ran and sat down up front, and since there wasn't room for me, I sat at a table some distance from him. My view of the stage was obscured by a pillar, so I watched audience reaction, comprised mostly of adults with their children attendant on the floor in front or on their laps; I watched, and it was not all that different as an experience as watching the children play the previous day.

For all the celebration, it was not an autumnal day. I am in any case, having grown up in central California, not all that used to such a marked expression of seasonal fervor. I didn't grow up ever having much of an Autumn in the first place, but it seems like October festivities occurred much closer to the end of the month to coincide with Halloween.

The days, however, are sweet, filled with new light and vague expectation.

2 comments:

A. Monk said...

I enjoy these kinds of "slice of life" entries, especially when it involves a dad and his son (for obvious reasons). I just realized from your bio page that we're the same age (or soon will be). I'm intrigued by "the old man sitting on the bench beside me reading, The Philokalia." Can you really just leave it at that with no comment? Come on, I'm intrigued!

Eric James said...

Sorry for my delayed reply. I am presently netless at home. I interupted the old guy reading the Philokalia, and stated the obvious: 'you are reading the Philokalia/' He responded with some irritation, "trying to." I took the point, and we did not converse beyond that...!