Monday, September 29, 2008

Blog Overview

The idea of this blog is that it is an accretion of various modes of thinking expressed in writing "from the margins" to gradually build a larger island of work. I've wittled things down to four basic modes: opinion, reflection, discovery, life. I came to these after blogging on Live Journal for five or six years, looking over what I had done there.

Opinion might encompass, according to some people, the entire blog, but I am going to limit it for the sake of categorization to really peripheral subjects, like politics (yes, that's peripheral) and comment on news items, etc. -- basically, essays.

Reflection is meant to embody more thoughtful and philosophical or "theological" pieces, as well as more prosaic writing rooted in a subjective rendering of my own experience, narrative work, and creative nonfiction.

Discovery will contain reportage and maybe critique (insofar as I am able or willing) of various media to which I have subjected myself, such as books, music, magazine articles, lectures, square dances and the like.

Life will be the mode of writing which I seem to do a lot of, and a habit I would like to amend and repair; it's simply the diarylike reporting of my own situation and activities.

Each category will be indexed with the closest label any given piece of writing will most resemble, and given my penchance for self-sabotage, I'll likely cross my own genres repeatedly and make my own blogging life difficult. Well, whatever, the whole thing is mostly for me, and I can't imagine any reader will particularly care what mode I'm writing in or how it's labeled or not, so we'll see how things go.

I have two other new blogs as well. Pieces in Progress (http://cheaplit.blogspot.com/) will contain the rough drafts of fiction I am working on, and Word Lumber (http://wordlumber.blogspot.com/) is my attempt, borrowed from Robert Bly, to write at least one poem a day for a year.

No comments: